Blog

Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Leake-Ingham Building, Camden, Ouachita County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Sunday, February 03, 2019

The Leake-Ingham Building at Camden in Ouachita County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 1975. 

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE

The white frame building which now rests on the rear lot of the McCollum-Chidester House has long been a landmark in Camden, Arkansas. Built circa 1850, this small commercial structure stood for over 100 years at the corner of Washington and Harrison Streets in the heart of the historic south Arkansas community. The Classical style of this small building lent dignity to its use as a law and government office, and as a library. Greek Revival features on this simple rectangular structure include the portico supported by columns and the balanced entry with a large double hung window on either side of the paneled door.

The building was originally constructed to serve as a law office for Mr. William W. Leake, a prominent Camden attorney. An 1859 advertisement in Camden’s States Rights Eagle announced that Mr. Lyon and Mr. Leake, lawyers, were in business in the Washington Street office formerly occupied by lawyers Jennings and Leake. Mr. Leake later changed partners again, and in 1866 was working with Mr. R. E. Sallee. By that time Leake had vacated his first office, and it was rented to the United States government.

In the years following the Civil War the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands had district offices in urban areas all over the South. The Camden office of the Freedmen’s Bureau was established in the building formerly used to house Mr. Leake’s law practice. Supervising a seven county area in south central Arkansas, the Freedmen’s Bureau in Camden played an important role in shaping Reconstruction era history in the State.

Among a collection of miscellaneous papers from the files of the Camden Freedmen’s Bureau is an 1860 fire insurance policy certificate issued to W. W. Leake. For a $16.00 premium Leake received $1,000.00 coverage on his Washington Street law office.

Following its use by the Freedmen’s Bureau, the Leake building served as a Government Land Office for a number of years. It was afterwards purchased by Mr. A. A. Tufts, who used the building as a business office for some time, then rented it to others for the same purpose.

In 1904 a group of women in the New Century Club of Camden started a movement for a public library in the city. An organizational meeting resulted in the formation of the Camden Library Association. The first goal set by the Association was the purchase of a building to house the library. This goal was accomplished on April 1, 1906, when the Leake building was purchased for $1,100.

Mr. H. M. Ingham, Rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Camden, supervised the preparation of the Leake building to house the library. He and his wife made such valuable contributions to the library that in June, 1906, it was named Ingham Library.

For the first half of the twentieth century this small structure housed Camden’s only public library. However, a new library building was constructed in the 1950’s and the Ingham Library was abandoned. Urban growth threatened destruction of the building and in 1954 it was removed from its original downtown lot. After temporarily resting at two different sites, it was moved in 1963 to the rear of the McCollum-Chidester House property (added to the National Register on June 24, 1971).

The Ouachita County Historical Society, which owns both the Ingham Library and the lot on which it stands, plans to restore the building and use it in conjunction with the adjacent McCollum-Chidester House. As one of Camden’s earliest existing commercial structures, the Leake Building-Ingham Library is an important ante-bellum landmark in this historic south Arkansas community.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
“Fifty Years of Camden Library History.” Ouachita County Historical Quarterly, Vol. 5.

Freedman’s Bureau Records: Arkansas: Camden. Roll 2, Entries 297-305. Microfilm, Arkansas History Commission.

Ouachita County Tax Records, 1861-1867, Microfilm, Arkansas Historic Commission.

Records Assistant Commissioner: Arkansas: Freedman’s Bureau: Abandoned and Confiscated Lands: 1865-1868. National Archives Microfilm Publications, #M969, roll 29.



Recent Posts


Tags

Arkansas African American Civil War History Leake-Ingham Building downtown revitalization African American education Craftsman style architecture Arkansas Railroad History Buffalo National River Forrest City Cemetery Edgar Monsanto Queeny Cemetery Preservation Library Pope County Courthouse Historic Preservation Alliance Camden Arkansas Main Street Siloam Springs Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Burdette Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans St. Francis County Historical Society Erbie Arkansas Arkansas Business History free teacher resources Centennial Baptist Church Art Deco Architecture Roe Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Main Street Batesville Evelyn Gill Walker House Main Street Texarkana Polk County Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Pulaski County Courthouse downtown economic development Tolbert Gill Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Forrest City Arkansas Arkansas Design Network steel window restoration workshop Morrilton Arkansas Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Flood Control Benton Arkansas Arkansas Preservation Awards Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Henry Koen Office Building Let Freedom Ring Main Street Ozark Turner Restoration International-Style Architecture Camden Public Library Arkansas religious history Madison County Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Ouachita County Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax Renaissance Revival Architecture North Little Rock Arkansas free historic preservation workshop News Release Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Wingmead Civilian Conservation Corps Arkansas History Sunken Lands Helena Arkansas Elias Camp Morris Tudor Revival Architecture Prairie County Arkansas slipcover removal grants Paris Arkansas Barney Elias House Bogg Springs Arkansas White County Courthouse Burdette Plantation Folk Victorian Architecture Booneville Historical Preservation Society National Register of Historic Places Freedmen's Bureau 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Ozark Farming "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants County courthouse Restoration Grants Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Arkansas Historic Preservation Freedom Park Poinsett County Arkansas 13th Amendment Bogg Springs Hotel Huntsville Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Historic County Courthouses Monroe County Arkansas Pike County Courthouse historic resort communities Arkansas Register of Historic Places Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Civil Works Administration New Century Club of Camden Pike County Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Conway County Library Arkansas Humanities Council Kiblah School U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mosaic Templars Cultural Center historic telephone booth Fayetteville Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture free history tours Russellville Arkansas Monroe County Courthouse Booneville Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Main Street Dumas Free Courthouse Poster historic Arkansas properties 19th Century Road Construction Saline County Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Main Street Searcy Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Delta Cultural Center Rosenwald Schools Mid-Century Modern Architecture Cumberland Presbyterian Church Clarendon Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Dr. Ruth Hawkins Trail of Tears in Arkansas Rustic Architecture Sandwiching in History Huntsville Commercial Historic District Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Destination Downtown Conference National Historic Landmark Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Duck Hunting Perry County Arkansas historic architecture Walks Through History Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Houston Arkansas National Register of Historic Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Montgomery County Arkansas cemetery preservation cemetery preservsation Louisiana Main Street program most endangered historic places Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Doddridge Arkansas Miller County American Legion Phillips County Arkansas Rosston Arkansas Monsanto Chemical Corporation Main Street Arkansas Newton County Arkansas Mississippi County Arkansas Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Montgomery County Courthouse Free Lesson Plan Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Skillern House Downtown Revitalization Grants Pope County Arkansas Three States Lumber Company U.S. Forest Service Dionicio Rodriguez Abolition of Slavery

Archive